Thursday, May 28, 2009

Transformation

(R. Charlebois, artist)

In today's gospel somewhat hidden in Jesus prayer for us is the request that we be granted to graces needed for a genuine metanoia, a genuine transformation. He is praying not just for those with him in his ministry for us, those who believe in him through the words of his colleagues, his apostles and disciples.
"I pray not only for these but also for those who will believe in me through their world, so that they may all be one, as you Father, are in me and I in you ... and that the world may believe that you sent me."
As we draw closer to Sunday, Pentecost Sunday, the celebration of the birthday of our Church, might we not as ourselves what this prayer of Jesus means for me today. It is a call for unity. How today am I to bring about the oneness that Jesus prays for? Are there genuine ways that just one person can effect the unity that Jesus petitions from the Father? If we believe each of us can bring about unity, we will find the ways that are present in our lives.
"And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me...
How do we engage those whom we find difficult? How do we engage those who have different ideas than we cherish? Just listen to the so-called "debates" that capture much of today's daily news. More than a few of the talk radio shows and some of the cable TV stations seem to thrive on serious division, almost hatred against those who think differently than one who might be a Democrat or a Republican ... party doesn't seem to matter. How easily can a person become enspirited with the same demons of hatred or serious distrust!

How will those who commit themselves to the pro-life position advance the cause that is so vitally important? Will it be through acrimonious barbs being thrown at those who cannot see the light? Where is the transformation that Jesus is praying for in the "attacks" that have filled airwaves and printed words?