Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Wednesday: My Purpose?

We come to realize, at some point in our lives, that God is all complete in himself.  He did not need anything or anyone, you or me.  But, but, but:  he willed otherwise.  He decided in his infinite wisdom to fulfill his own will through the human beings he would create.

So it was and is that every man or woman and all of creation was made to be a part of the divine plan.  Each creation came about to do his will.  Because of the reality of Adam and Eve’s sin, however, there are times when we forget how we are given a specific purpose in the divine plan.  It is this reality of our part in the will of God that makes each person a singular purpose for God.  No two of us have the same purpose.  We are, each human being, a divine creation with a unique purpose in God’s creation.  Whether I am a genius or not, whether I am a person of wealth or not, I have a special place in God’s will.  The fact is simple, so simple that we can easily forget that God knows me.  Hod has called each of us by name, a name he never forgets.

Each person has a special mission in this life, unlike any other person’s mission.  Our journey in this divine creation is to learn, to come to know that mission as best as we can while living in this God-created world.  When I die and meet my Creator, I shall know exactly what that mission was.  But I need to realize that I am an important part of his purpose.  I am as important to the divine plane as “an archangel is” for God.  The reality is, also, that if I should fail in the God-given mission, if I should turn away from God, he can find another to fulfill the purpose he wanted from me.  If I follow his commandments, if I earnestly seek to know his will for me, I will be like an angel, his messenger, even if I do not realize it.

Genuine trust in God is this, I believe:  I honestly believe I shall never be tossed away as rubbish by my God.  Whatever comes to me along the roads of my life-time journey, this is how God uses me to fulfill his purpose.  My successes, my failures; my illness, my health; my poverty, my abundance -- these and so many other realities serve God’s purpose which I many not even see!

Whatever circumstances become a part of my life, I must trust that this is a part of his plan for me.  I must trust my God.  It is his created world.  He knows what he is doing.

So, like those entrusted with the master’s wealth in today’s gospel story (Luke 19:11-28) my mission is to be used to carry out God’s will.  My daily prayer should always be that I ask simply “Lord, my God, let me do your will.”