Saturday, September 20, 2008

Every Grateful


Homily of Deacon Gary Bockweg
Deacon at St. Joseph's on Capitol Hill

I wish I’d made the right moves in the stock market last week.
Some people made a fortune.
I wish I’d bought a new house back when prices were really low.
My neighbor did.
I wish I’d gotten recognition for that work I did last year.
My partner got most the credit.
I wish I’d gotten two of those choice seats at the concert.
I paid just as much, but somebody else got the best seats.

Those wishes are all signs of envy.
One of the Seven Deadly Sins.
If I harbor ill-will toward those others who received more than I,
Who were no more worthy but just luckier than I,
If I’d like to see them get their just deserts,
Then that’s envy for sure.

If I don’t harbor ill will toward those others,
But just really wish I’d been the lucky one,
Then I probably don’t have to call it envy.
What a relief!
I’ve avoided that deadly sin.

But if I dwell on that wish, let it really occupy my time and thoughts,
Then I’m just dodging one deadly sin to fall into another.
Then I’m suffering from greed.
I should be thankful I have money to invest.
Thankful I have a place to live.
Thankful I have a job.
Thankful I have the health and time and companionship for a concert.

If I can’t be happy and thankful for what I have
Because I’m too busy longing for more, something’s wrong.
Whether it’s envy or greed it’s wrong.
In today’s super-materialistic world,
Envy and greed may be two of our greatest dangers.
Envy directly violates the 10th Commandment –
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor’s goods.
Greed directly violates the 1st Commandment –
Thou shalt not have strange God’s before me.
With greed, material things edge out God as the center of our attention and focus.

Jesus was once asked "What is the greatest commandment?"
And he answered with not just one, but two.
Love God with all your mind, heart and strength –
And love your neighbor as yourself.
Envy and greed also violate those two greatest commandments.

It’s important to realize that God’s Commandments aren’t for God’s benefit,
They’re for ours.
And they’re not only for getting us through those pearly gates.
They’re for giving us a happier, more satisfying life right here and now.
It’s very accurate to say we suffer from envy or we suffer from greed.
They prevent us from experiencing the joy we should feel.
They bring us unhappiness and dissatisfaction right now.

Of course, they’re also obstacles to our eternal happiness.
To our enjoyment of the Kingdom of Heaven.
In our Gospel today, Jesus gives an example of what the Kingdom of Heaven is like.
It’s free from that envy and greed.
The last are first and the first are last.
All are treated equally.

This story of the vineyard is one of those clear Good News gospel passages.
It’s good news for every one of us.
Even if we think we’ve done our share.
Even if we think we’ve worked harder than others.
How can we really be sure we’ve done enough?

So it’s reassuring to see how extravagantly generous the Master is.
If we actually have done a lot, then maybe we have a nice cushion.
Some of us began early and have worked steadily.
Some of us began early, slacked off, and got back on track.
Some of us have come late.
Some other folks haven’t even started yet.

But should we care who comes when?
Our own reward is not diminished in the least by the reward of others.
Let’s rejoice if they come at all.
Like the finding of the lost sheep,
Like the return of the prodigal son,
Let’s rejoice that all can be united with the fold,
Even to the very end.
An old Jesuit once told me that some theologians believe that
At the instant of death, Jesus meets us and gives us one last chance to follow him.
I’ve always hoped that’s true.

If we came early, we have the added joy of the satisfaction of our labors.
Let’s rejoice at our own good fortune.
And let’s be always ready to rejoice
At the good fortune of those who maybe didn’t work as hard.
Or who maybe didn’t work as long.
When the Master lines us up to receive our rewards,
We may see that we’re in the group that doesn’t quite measure up.
The group that really needs the Master’s great generosity.
Actually, we can be pretty sure that will be the case.
None of us can really earn our way into heaven.
All of us have to rely on God’s generosity.
For every one of us, the reward is all gift.