Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday: Open the Closet of Your Heart

2009 Lenten Logo

How do I begin resolutions that will endure for forty days? Today begins another journey both in hope as well as in faith and in faith. Today I open again the closet of my heart. Like any in closet, I will see my belongings. As with every Spring and Fall, I determine what I want to remove -- clothes no longer fitting what I have become; clothes no longer fitting my physical frame; clothes no longer suited for who I am. So today I begin my looking through what I have stored on the shelves and hangers of my heart and soul. Even what I start to look at items in my closet, I sense a new freedom. I sense that I am removing what I do not need, what I don't want to be, what is cluttering my life. So today I look at what I have accumulated in my heart. What I want to remove are those vestiges of who I am that are not good for me. This desire brings a sense of spiritual freedom. I know that these Lenten days and resolutions will become fruitful ruminations for me. I see what doesn't fit who I am: those sinful desires; my feelings against other people, specially my family, friends and co-workers or employees; my ways of concern solely for myself and no one else. But, but, but with the assurance of hope and faith, I can encounter the limitless love of my God, yes, my forgiving God. This is the freedom and joy that can be mine as I open the door to my heart. It is a true freedom because it is an encounter with my Lord, my Redeemer, Jesus Christ. It is a wonderful journey.
"If today you hear his voice, harden not your heart."