Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Listen Carefully


"Anyone who comes to me I will not drive away;
for I have come down from heaven,
not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me....
And this is the will of the one who sent me,
that I should not lose anything of what he gave me...."

Even Jesus is charged with a mission and given an order. When we are confronted by the power of sin and the life of the gospels the Father wants of us, we confront once again the reality that holiness is not easy. Yet, Jesus reminds us, "anyone who comes to me, I will not drive away." Is this not an extraordinary promise? Do any of the people or ways of life that lead us into temptation and sin make a similar promise? None whatsoever!

Today we honor Saint Catherine of Siena, Dominican sister. She is noted for her remarkable simplicity, holiness and ability to teach others how to become holy. Even before she entered the Dominican convent, Catherine experience mystical moments with Jesus Christ. Pray to her, asking for her intercession for the graces needed to let the words of today's gospel give strength to the resolutions made in the Sacrament of Reconciliation when: "I firmly resolve with the help of your grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasion of sin."