Friday, November 13, 2009


Why is a sunset or a sunrise so captivating, so magnetic? Why is the smiling and giggling of a newborn baby so uplifting and inspiring? Is there something in me or you that is attracted by or drawn to so many marvelous creations in our world?

YES THERE IS!!!

In today's first reading from the Book of Wisdom, there is a clue:

From the greatness and the beauty of created things their original author, by analogy, is seen.

Think about it for a moment. There is something within that brings us to the created world around us: we, too, are among God's great creations. For me it is very difficult to understand those who profess that they are atheists. Seeing God in the skies on a clear night is an experience that immediately draws me to ask, "How did you do that, God?" Pictures that modern technologies have brought to us from outer space, far, far away from our planet are truly awesome. To see a newborn panda bear and to know that it will be as large or larger than the mom trying to hold the tiny creature in her paws makes me wonder about the greatness of the God who makes this happen.

To be honest, I feel sorry for the atheist. Look what is missed. Look at the joys, the inspiration, the imagination about the power and love of a God who does all this for you and for me.

And you? Do you react as I do upon seeing the picture above? It surely brings me to God in a unique way. What a gift he has given me! I hope you share in it as I do.


Sorry this is so late today. Dealing with notification of my cousins about a cousin's former husband who died of liver cancer last evening. Pray for Jim, if you would not mind.