Monday, March 15, 2010

HE HAS RETURNED

Beaching on Grand Cayman Island
Yours truly has returned from a delightful, relaxing, enjoyable, restful week on Grand Cayman Island.  Thanks, not to my retirement income, but to my brother Jack.  We truly fraternal time.  We did not cruise there.  This was the daily scene, however.  Cruise line ships came to the George Town harbor each day.  Passengers were ferried ashore for the usual six or seven hour time to spend money!!!  Grand Cayman Island is a laid back experience ... but let me assure you that it is not inexpensive ... at least from my perspective.  The water was, for the natives Caymanians, a little cool.  But, coming there from DC and our winter, the water was wonderful.  I was tempted to go swimming with the dolphins, the sea rays, parasailing or jet skiing --- until I checked out the prices.  None of what was just mentioned was under $140, with jet skiing for one hour listed at $289!!!!  Remember the value of the American dollar against the Euro!!!!  The Cayman Islands are a part of the BRITISH West Indies.  Being of 75% English brought no relief!!!!  

I arrived in DC late Friday evening -- airline traffic was a mess because of the N'easter.  Saturday morning I was off to DC to be with my sister and brother-in-law who sponsor a fund raising event to fund the purchase of smoke detectors for off-campus housing as well as for local fire departments to provide the items for those in poorer neighborhoods.  A number of other relatives came from Calvert County and PG County to enjoy the soaking that the NYC skies provided during the 24 hours away.

So back at home.  Blogging under way.