Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Am the Bread of Life

In today's gospel, verse 36, we are challenged by the words of Jesus: "... although you have seen me, you do not believe." So, what significance is there for me when we also read "I am the bread of life"?

Throughout our lives that are personal crosses that we are carrying. Then, it seems, we have the time to turn to Jesus as the nourishment that we need to overcome these problems.

But on the day to day basis, when I fail to turn to him, am I not making it more difficult for him to do the will of the Father, "not to lose anything of what he gave me"?

If this is true, do we not need more personal prayer with Jesus to strengthen the relationship with him? Are there not the times when we feel like that relationship is so empty,so distant, so meaningful?

At times like these the voice of the Holy Spirit may be trying to break through a hardness of heart: "you are just going through the motions; you are not opening your heart because you do not spend time in prayer, your own personal prayer, your conversation with Jesus, your brother.

Throughout our lives so many of us work ungodly hours in building our success as an individual, a parent, an employee, an employer. In all those years, how much time was there for developing a personal relationship with God?

Take a look backwards, over the many opportunities God has presented to you to move forward. Perhaps this question might apply: "If I had given one fourth the time to building my relationship with Jesus, those empty moments, those lonely hours, those frustrations might never have become so strong." Just maybe and if!!!