Friday, April 23, 2010

A Test of My Faith


In today's gospel, we are privy to a scene that is so historic yet so contemporary.  Imagine a group of Roman Catholics gathered together, not discussing the current difficulties weighing upon all of us but intent on discussing the major message of St. John's gospel  that we have been confronting in the post-Easter readings.

These are several questions that might spark serious discussion and perhaps "quarreling" similar to the experience of the Jewish people related by St. John.  Jesus said "For my Flesh is true food, and my Blood is true drink." A few words later he also said, "... so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me."  A few words beyond these he said "... whoever eats this bread will live forever."

As a Roman Catholic, do I take the time to consider the impact of this mystery upon my life of faith?  Or, perhaps, do I say to myself "this is mystery, why think about it?  I cannot solve it."

What does this statement mean to me?  "If I truly believed that the consecrated bread and wine are the flesh and blood of Jesus and that through this mystery of his divine presence through this medium of food, would I not try as often as possible to receive this Holy Communion?"

Is the Eucharistic liturgy not a test for contemporary Catholics of their faith?  Is the receiving of Holy Communion hindered because of some sin in one's life and the personal knowledge that the Sacrament of Reconciliation is needed before receiving the Body and Blood of Christ?

So, the topic for my prayer today is simple:  what do Jesus' words above mean to me?  Do I truly believe what Jesus has given to his followers, this bread the will give life forever?