Thursday, September 9, 2010

Friday: Quo Vadis?

Psalm 84, used in the set of readings for today's liturgy, might bring you to ask yourself this question: "What is it that I seek most of all by following in the footsteps of  Jesus?"  A simple question, no doubt.  How many, however, have honestly taken the time to understand clearly the goal they have set for themselves?  Can you, without too much delay, write a simple sentence like this:  "I do all I can to follow Jesus and his teachings because I want _______________________."  Answers might be:  peace of mind and heart; the fire and enthusiasm for my faith that stirs me to action; happiness in being his disciple.  Most likely you have another, your own, personal expression to complete that sentence.

St. Paul reminds us that securing the goal we set for ourselves can be achieved only when there is discipline in our efforts, when there is determination and training.  Achieving our goal is no different than that of an athlete.  It is our own power that will bring us to our goal.

Our personal prayer today might be:  "Lord, my God, in my heart I know that I am searching and seeking the way and for ____________________>  Open my heart and soul to the graces that help me achieve my personal goals.  That is the hard part and then there is the challenge to live out the means to achieve that goal.  

If we are truly in touch the Jesus through our prayer and reflections, we will come to realize a simple reality:  "Heh, ya know this prayer thing, if you take the time for it, really does pay off.  You really can get in touch the Jesus that seems so distant and so formal if there have not been any conversations with him."

In your prayer today ask Jesus to strengthen your awareness, your sensitivity to the reality of his presence in your life.  He is there because he wants you to achieve what is best for you.