Saturday, December 11, 2010

And Your Destiny?

In the Book of Sirach we are told about Elijah and the destiny God had planned for him.  No doubt we Catholics look to the likes of Mother Teresa, St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, Pope John Paul II, Pope John XXIII and Mexico's Juan Diego as individuals clearly bless with a destiny that has touched the lives of many.

But ask each of these unique individuals how they achieved the greatness society and the Church has attributed to them and they will tell you the names of many unknowns who were their inspiration.  Did you know a Fr. E. Albert Hughes, Jesuit Father Ralph Campbell, Sr. Mary St. John Trainor or Mrs. May Fisher or a Mrs. Rose Wersick?  I suspect you did not know any or most of these wonderful people.  Yet, for me, I know these great people as sources of the inspiration that led me to the priesthood.  Each in his or her own way spoke or acted in ways that made me examine what I felt as a vocation.  Of course there were others along the journey and they continue even today.

It is you who read these (almost) daily reflection who are unknown to me but who wait to use my words and thoughts to bring yourself closer to God.  Your desires are some of the reasons for my writing, for my time in prayer, and for my spiritual reading and reflecting.

Like Elijah, each of us has been entrusted with a mission by our Creator-God.  Ours in the duty to know it and to live it as best we can.  But to do that we need inspiration from others.  Can you draft your own list, as I did, of those who have helped you life your life as God wanted you to live it?