Saturday, December 25, 2010

What's In A Gift?

On this day we celebrate the giving, especially the giving of gifts to loved ones and friends.  Whether early in the morning or at another time during the day, fully understanding the giving of a present can set the tone for the entire day ... indeed for many days and weeks to come.

Today there will be some gifts that bring disappointment because the gift was not what was expected.  Likewise another gift can bring something totally unexpected that creates in the heart wonderful happiness and much surprise.  It is in looking at these two kinds of gifts that we can, I hope, come to more deeply appreciate "the reason for the season," as we hear every now and again.

Considering these two kinds of gifts, perhaps the message might be as surprising as the unexpected gift itself.  The first gift may cause disappointment because there is little more than "what can I get for myself."Too much focus upon my wants, my needs surely takes the air out of the balloon, we might say.  The second kind of gift, the one that surprises, is  one that make the receiver stop and see beyond the gift to the heart of the giver.  Unfortunately the first may relate to the size of the giver's wallet or purse whereas the second speaks of the giver's heart, the giver's affection for the recipient.

What is there that makes the second gift so special?  The answer is ever so simple you so easily overlooked:  It is the care and love of the giver.  The childhood gift I will always remember, probably because it was the most unexpected gift came form my paternal grandparents when I was seven or eight years old.  It was a note in a Christmas card that read, "we see now you are big enough and good enough to have the present that is in our car outside waiting for you."   Asking if I could go outside to their automobile, I was already putting on a coat to discover that gift ... not realizing that the most special gift was the sentiments:  I was now old enough and good enough to have something obviously very special.  My grandfather told me to go to the car and bring the gift in for everyone to see.  I couldn't believe it:  there on the seat of their car was the most wonderful and shivering golden cocker spaniel.  When I came back into the house, I don't know who was more surprised:"  me or my Mom and Dad!  Nonetheless that note and the gift will always be a part of my understanding of gift giving.

So, this is the meaning or, as we say, "the reason for the season:"  the gift of Jesus for me.  And, as we know, it is an awareness that comes about only as we grow older, as burdens weigh upon us, as we recognize our tendencies to offend God, to bring hurt or harm to others.

Only as we grow older, do we discover the wisdom to recognize in the birth of a child in great poverty the tremendous love that our God has for each one of us.  As we leave the years of childhood and the yearnings for "things" at Christmas time, only then will we sense with each passing year  a genuine hunger for love, fulness of life and forgiveness.

Yes, Christmas is a time of giving and receiving.  Each of us, as we advance in age, hopefully will recognize the awe and wonder that can be experienced in the giving of ourselves to our God and to others --  not just our family and friends but to those God puts before us in their great needs.  In our adult years we may not experience the excitement of childhood Christmases.   Hopefully our giving to others will help us grasp more fully each year the wonder and awe of this God of ours, the God we call "our Father,"the God who loves us so much that he gave us his Son to bring us peace and joy.