Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Choice Is Yours


In the first reading, Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Moses puts before the people a critical choice: life and prosperity, death and doom.  Well, we might think, that is ancient, truly ancient history.  We are some 3000 years since Moses put this challenge before the Jewish people.  Is it any different today?  What do you think?  Is it really any different?  Isn't God asking the same of us today as he asked of the Jewish people in Moses' time?

For us today, as noted in the blog before on more than one occasion, following Jesus is not for sissies.  Opting for the life that God wants of us is truly burdensome at times, isn't it?  If you answer in the positive, please, get in touch with this blogger.  We need to start your cause for canonization!!!

Like so many realities in life, so many things like stones, or shell, or cars or houses or computers or telephones -- all of these and more wear down.  It is no different for one's faith, one's hope and one's love.  The human psyche, the human heart, the human body are worn down by the challenges of life.  But Jesus does not step backwards:  Do you want to choose life and doom?

Is my faith strong?  Am I so busy that I don't have time to pray or even to think about God?  Have the ways of life worn down my attention to Jesus Christ.  Surely I know the man by name and some history.  However, the real question:  do I truly know who Jesus is?  .... for me and for my life?

Am I strong enough to firmly affirm that Jesus is truly the Son of God regardless of the "demands" he puts before me each day of my life?  Can I stand tall behind Jesus and what he asks of his followers in the gospels?

So, what is it for you?  Can your write it in 25 words of less?  Give it a try.