Monday, April 25, 2011

And Tomorrow?


The Resurrection day has already passed us by.  Now most folks have returned to the customary routines of day-to-day living.  And what impact, what spiritual change did the recent Lenten journey make to your life?

Early this morning a TV commentator said that successful people will tell you that it was the failures in their efforts that helped them become what they are today.  Do you apply this norm solely to the non-spiritual aspects of life?  Do you ever stop to consider that spiritual failures seem to weigh down folks with a sense of guilt or a feeling  that does not help rebuild for future successes?

What was the "impact" of Jesus' Resurrection for you?  Does it mean anything in particular for the vocation you proclaim if you say "I am a Christian"?  In the gospels the Evangelists recount events or moments when the Risen Christ tells one or others to go and tell the Good News that I have risen.

You may not be called to be a professional preacher.  Yet, by your Baptism, your Confirmation and the many times you have received Holy Communion you have been called to make know the reality of a Resurrection-based faith.  And how do that?  The way your witness Jesus' Resurrection graces in your life, especially how you demonstrate the reality of hope in what you say or do.  Did the days of this past Lent invite you to a new and deeper understanding of the Risen Christ who is at the heart of your faith?
Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope.
I bless the Lord who counsels me;
even in the night my heart exhorts me.
I set the Lord ever before me;'
with him at my right hand I shall not be disturbed.
(Psalm 16)