Monday, May 23, 2011

TUESDAY


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
John 14: 27

Did you ever stop to consider how many times Jesus spoke to the disciples with words such as these?  It is surprising how many times he comes to them with these words.  Especially during the post-Resurrection appearance, was it fear or fright that he must have perceived in their hearts?

Were you to open your front door and find Jesus standing there or if you were in your office or place of work and he came up to you what would your reaction be.  Take a few moments of closed eyes and quiet and try to imagine what your thought might be ... especially as he says to you the same words he said to the disciples.  "Hello, I am Jesus Christ.  Peace be with you."  What would your thoughts be after you get over the disbelief?  

Would his words signify that he sees something in your heart or soul that is at unrest?  Suddenly the thought might come:  Do I really believe all the I have heard about him seeing through me to the real me and all that I am?

Perhaps after a few moments and additional words from him, your heart begins to settle.  Then you begin to feel the extraordinary gift that he has come to give you:  PEACE!   When "things" are not going as well as you would like, does his repeated greetings to the disciples have any meaning for you?

These Jesus-words and their message are an opportunity for you to pray to him.  Yes, simply ask in all simplicity and humility to have a sense of the peace that he can bring to those who follow him, who believe in him.