Monday, May 16, 2011

TUESDAY



Today my blog will be a little different.  Why?  Because this evening I was privileged to be invited to a preview showing of a powerful movie.  It is a movie I wish to encourage you to attend.  Here in Washington, DC the movie will begin showing "THE FIRST GRADER" in one or two of our movie theaters.  I encourage your attending this movie because it is a genuine spiritual experience.  Remember the words from yesterday's gospel that was cited -- Jn 10:16.  There are those who are outside the perimeter of the usual.  Usually these are "martyrs."  They sacrifice their reputation even perhaps their lives because they believe in the dignity of another human being.  The First Grader is the story of one man's desire to learn to read even at the age of 80+ and the challenges presented to him by what are simply put the presence of evil in our world whether it is in an American city or in the Kenyan village.

While I am writing my reaction before you have seen the movie, I suggest for your prayer be simply this:  praying for those who seem to be outside the fold and not likely to be welcomed into the fold because they champion a mission that may make us feel uncomfortable.  There are people like that around all of us.  You know who they might be.  Pray for them.