Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thursday in the Second Week of Lent



Today's gospel brings us to consider end times in life.  How will I be judged when my life comes to its end, when God calls me to review my life?  What are going to be the criteria that will be used to screen to good and the bad activities that were a part of those years on this earth? What kind of questions might be placed before me?

Some might think immediately these are the criteria?  Did I ever deliberately miss a Sunday obligation?  I received the Sacrament of Reconciliation regularly.  Every day I recited prayers.  I tried to live up to the expectations of the 10 Commandments.  The Church's guidelines for me were important.  I lived a good ethical and moral life.

According the what we read in the gospel today, the answer to the question "How will God judge my life on this earth?" may be a surprise.  The answer is twofold:  love and service.  It is the service of our fellow human beings, the love we have for them and the ways that we reached out to help when there was a need.  Love and serve are the two keys that will be used to open the gates of entry into the kingdom of God.  These are the measuring sticks!  Isn't this an interesting wake up call?