Friday, January 18, 2013

January 18, 2013, Friday

Psalm 78: 3-4

What we have heard and know,
and what our fathers have declared to us,
we will declare to the generation to come
The glorious deeds of the LORD and his strength.


These words express the heartfelt hopes and pledges of parents as well as all who see that they have a role in the future for their children or for the world.  They express as well the hope that their lives were blessed by their ancestors.

As you read those words or heard someone speaks them, did they mean anything to you?  Again these words can be so easily passed over either because they are not new to you or because you were not particularly moved by them.

You might ask this question: "Do I see myself as having a purpose in this life for myself and/or my world?"  Furthermore you might ask yourself "Do I sense an obligation to the future: for myself, my Church, my nation or my community, especially my family?

It is a weekend of new beginnings for a national government.  Sure "legacy" is on the minds of our leaders.  Perhaps it is also a time for each of us to consider what each of us would like future generations to think about us and what good we might have done with our lives for others.