Sunday, July 6, 2014

14th Sunday Ordinary Time

From the Hermitage


Dear Friends, 

In today's readings there are reminders once again that we are a blessed people.  We are cared for by our God.  As St. Paul wrote, "...there is no need to obey our unspiritual selves."  For me these thoughts are important and should be for us.  Why?  Because each day we move forward on the pathway God has chosen for us.

The gift that God offers us is the Holy Spirit.  We might call it "discernment."  And, as Jesus says according to the evangelist, St. Matthew,

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves. 
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Words we have heard many times, words that give us a special assurance that our God is always with us in whatever we discern as God's will for us.

Let us use these words during these days of summer vacations and rest to allow the Spirit to speak in our hearts.  In our days of summer R&R, do what you can to spend some extra time with the Lord.  

Oremus pro invicem!

Fr. Milt