Thursday, September 24, 2009

El Greco's Peter and Paul

Luke 9:20

"Who do you say that I am?"

Jesus asks another penetrating question not only for Peter and his colleagues but for all of us -- you and me, each of us individually, not as a group. "Who do you say that I am?" This short sentence brings to mind a word prevalent in business and politics that relates to personal practice as well as corporate image. The word? TRANSPARENCY. How honest am I with myself about my relationship with God?

We live and work in a busy world, a conflicted culture. Families are struggling, values seem to be in a flip-flop state of affairs. Where is God? Who is he? Who needs God?

What I answer to the question Jesus puts to me today is most important. My answer reveals the impact God has in my life, the impact I allow God to have in my being. My response should clearly reveal the depth of my spiritual life especially to me. It speaks loudly to me of my relationship with God.


Jesus' question serves as a "true north" on my life's compass. Do I follow the direction of the needle? Does that needle continue to bounce around, seeking the best course for me?


Does Peter's reply, "The Christ of God," mean much to me?


Come let us worship the Lord, for he is our God.