Monday, April 12, 2010

Returning with "Boldness"

In the first reading from today's liturgy, Acts of the Apostles 4:23-31 St Luke speaks about what can be on of the consequences of our saying "I believe."  In yesterday's reflection the readings brought us to the reality of belief and the challenge to belief.  Thomas, the doubting apostle, was and continues to be the example for us of someone who finds believing difficult unless there is a very identifiable proof.

The reflection brought forward the reality of consequences to saying "I believe."  Each of us in many instances each day live in a world of challenge to believing.  We do believe that the sun will rise in the east each morning.  A spouse believes in the goodness and fidelity of his or her spouse.  A child believes that Mom and Dad will be providing food, clothing and other instances of care during the day.  We are called to believe that Jesus Christ died and rose from the dead to gain for us pardon for our sins.  All of these examples of our believing bring with them consequences ... actions that we are required to follow for that belief to be real.  As I say the words of consecration during the Mass, I believe that through the power and gift of my ordination as a priest, I make possible to presence of Jesus Christ in the bread and wine brought to the altar.  I believe that the bread that I lift up for the people is the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ.  Do I "know" that?  Hardly.  I believe it.  If I could explain it, I would not be in the experience of believing.

In the first reading Luke we read the petition of Peter and John:  " ... enable your servants to speak your word with all boldness."  Then, after being "filled with the Holy Spirit," these apostles continued "to speak the word of God with boldness."

Many Catholics seem to step back from this consequence of saying "I believe."  Consider the "hot buttons" that impact the lives of believers today:  for example, abortion, birth control, same sex marriage, euthanasia ... all moral issues that impact our daily lives.  Because I commit myself to a profession of belief, the Commandments and the laws of the Church become a consequence of my belief.

St Luke records the apostles awareness of the consequences of their belief expressed in their petition for boldness.  Speaking strongly about what we believe requires boldness.  Lukewarm responses just don't cut the cake.  This first reading and the petition for the grace to speak out what we believe when needed is a reminder today to each of us that we are called to be strong disciples of Jesus Christ.  Where?  When?  In our families, in our  places of work, in our communities we need to be defenders of what we believe especially when what we believe is challenged.  Yes, being a faithful follower of Jesus does have its consequences which truly challenge us in our society today.  We, like Peter and John do need the grace to be bold when necessary.

Photo:  FreeFoto.com by Ian Britton