Sunday, February 13, 2011

Monday: Today's Opposition

In today's gospel we read or hear St. Mark's recollection of Jesus' encounter with the Pharisees.  They were demanding a "sign from heaven to test him."  They wanted a proof from God that Jesus was indeed close to the Father and teaching what God wanted taught.  Jesus faced opposition while he was preaching and teaching the Father's will.  And opposition continues to be placed before Jesus' teachings since the days of his life.  His teachings are not always easy, not always what the mind and heart might want to do.  At times they conflict with our will.  They can be uncomfortable.

What we might consider today is a simple question:  in my life is there or were there issues related to my faith, related to the teachings of the Commandments that I have rejected?  Are there moments when I have put opposition to Jesus?  Are these moments when I am demanding a "sign" from Jesus about his authority, his authenticity?  Have I perpetuated the ongoing opposition?