Wednesday, May 11, 2011

St. Joseph Church, Pomfret, MD

THURSDAY
Imagine yourself sitting in the first pew of this church without anyone but yourself before the tabernacled Lord Jesus.  Read slowly the five verses of Psalm 66.  Perhaps two or three times; even aloud ... Jesus won't mind.

Bless, O peoples, our God, and make heard the sound of His praise ...
Who has kept us in life, and not let our foot stumble. (vv 8-9)
Come listen and let me recount,  all you who fear God, what He did for me.
To Him with my mouth I could out, exultation upon my tongue. (vv 16-17)
Blessed is God, who has not turned away from my prayer nor His kindness from me. (v 20) 

My heart and soul were caught by the sentiment in verse 16.  I read it several times.  "David, what you wrote speaks to me.  Why?  Where is the Spirit leading?  Where?"  Almost 52 years of numerous challenges and moves (living in 17 very different cities in two different nations):  what a life story I could recount!  What a story of numerous moments of abundance and unending redemption!  Further I asked King David "What meaning do you intend for the word 'fear'"?  Is it 'fright' or is it the oft' used biblical meaning "awe."  To those who stand before God, heart locked by fright, what from my life would unlock the fear?  For those who stand in awe before God, what is there that is in my history that would further deepen their sense of awe?

We, all of us, possess a remarkable power when we recognize the ways that God has used our talents to assist him, to strengthen others, to help then know the Risen Christ Jesus, to open their hearts.  

The most potent fact that anyone can attain is the knowledge and the belief that God has not turned away from me or my prayer regardless of the times  the words "I have sinned" have to be said.  This Psalm 66, especially the five verses presented above,  is a calm reminder of God's goodness to you.

Should we not ask:  "God, how many are the times when I forgot to remember the great moments of my life, no matter where I was, did not come about solely because of me.  Let me never forget to say, 'Blessed be God.'"