Thursday, October 2, 2014

To Light, To Guide, To Rule

From Ignatius House


Foyer of Ignatius House

Dear Friends,

In an hour I will be with the Faculty, the parents and students of the Academy in St. Matthias Parish.  To be celebrate the feast of the Guardian Angels brings our academic community together in these early days of another year of learning ... for all of us.

No doubt speaking to the young people for K through 8th grade will be much easier than trying to defend the existence of these messengers of God.  For you who are adults, my mind immediately went to a book on my current read list, Rediscover Catholicism, written by Matthew Kelly.  You will not be bored if you take the time to read it.

It is a blessing for me to have this statue in the foyer of Ignatius House.  It serves me well each time I pass by, coming in our going out, a momentary prayer of thanks for what may have been since a momentary stop the last time going out and a prayer of petition to be with me and what I have ahead of me.

Those of us who were educated by many good religious women, learned about these heavenly characters who were always with us.  Remember to leave a little room on on side of your classroom seat for your Guardian Angel.

Many adults to at times avert to the presence of a divine assistant when something major has been accomplished.  Surely our lives would probably be so much better if we took the time each day to rememer what Sister taught us:

Angel of God,
my guardian dear
to whom God's love commits me.
Ever this day be at my side
to light and guard,
to rule, to guide.

Short and sweet!  Let me assure you that I truly rely on the angel assigned to take care of me.  He/she has one challenge every hour of every day.  He/she stands in the foyer of Ignatius House because I am not ashamed to say, "I do believe."  Since being able to bring the statue to the residence lifting up my needs, much goodness and happiness have filled my days.  You may not be able to have a statue like this in your foyer, but a picture?????  Even Hallmark will offer you angelic photos on cards.  Pin it where you will pass it each day.  "Okay, Angel, God has me in your care.  Today I need your help, your guidance your prayer with what lies ahead.  Thanks in advance.  Amen."

Oremus pro invicem!

Fr. Milt