Sunday, August 15, 2010

SUNDAY: ASSUMPTION OF MARY, MARY, MOTHER OF JESUS

First, let me begin with something of an apology.  To you faithful readers, I regret that I have not been as faithful as I should be with the postings to this blog.  However, upon recommendation from my doctor and many who know me well, I am trying to get into retirement.  As usual, I extended myself trying to be all things to all that came to my phone or email.  I found myself truly overworked and not enjoying retirement at all.  So, I have begun slowing done and doing things I want to do.  One of the results has been my weekends have begun to stretch from Sunday after a parish Mass until Wednesday morning when I return from visiting with some of my family.  I am feeling much better now and will continue to reduce the other events that have taken up my physical and psychological energy.  I am sure you can understand.  I am listening to my body and my soul!  So, that is what has been the reason for the sporadic attention to the postings.  By the beginning of September, I will be on a more consistent schedule.  To those who have been able to reach me, I am grateful for your interest and concern.  For those who cannot reach me, I know your support is there now that you "know the rest of the story."  So, let's turn to today's reflection.


Did you ever wonder why this Marian feast was positioned in the middle of August?  Perhaps two realities my offer one possible reason:  (1) by August 15th, at least in the USA, most people, that is those with student-children, have had a summer vacation and are refreshed and (2) the middle to the end of August stand as a threshold to a new (academic) year that regulates so many lives.  So, we stand refreshed and knocking at the door!  So what should we take from this feast day that will make us somewhat different than we were about two months ago?

This feast offers us consideration of a virtue that can strengthen us as we walk into a new "year."  What is that virtue?  One that most would not expect:  TRUE HUMILITY.   This is what we can gain from a feast that invites us to know more about the mother of Jesus.  In Mary's prayer --- not the Hail Mary, by the way ... that is our prayer to Mary --- the Magnificat, we hear Mary's humility expressed magnificently!  Some might consider the words "generations will call be blessed" lacking in humility.  But the next part of the sentence speaks why these words are not prideful:  because the Lord has done great things for me."  It would be almost prideful if Mary did not acknowledge the greatness that had been entrusted to her; that it was not her doings that made the greatness but rather the act of God the Father.

There is nothing wrong with admitting that you might be a good parent, a good administrator, a good artist whatever it is that you are.  Pride comes into the picture when we think that we made ourselves great and fail to recognize that it was a gift of God planted in our being.  It has been up to each of us to know what greatness God has implanted in us and to make it become what God had in mind for us.

This is the gift of know how Mary prayed and what impact it can have in our lives.  So, as we move from vacation time back to what we usually do, let us petition the Mother of God to intercede for us to have the graces of knowing and remembering how God has made us great.