Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Soil of the Soil

Other seed fell on rocky ground where it had little soil.
It sprang up at once because the soil was not deep.
And when the sun rose, it was scorched and it withered for lack of roots. 

Dear Friends,

The soil needed for growth of the small seed was insufficient.  I don' t believe I myself have thought too often about the " depth of the soil" in my spiritual life."

So what makes the right amount of soil?  If I need to repair a lack of soil in the yard, I make a stop at a nursery or a store like Home Depot.  But where do I get the soil to to give the needed depth to my spiritual life?

Well, to be honest, my immediate thought is to find something that requires "doing."  The rosary.  Stations of the Cross.  Indeed such devotion ale are good starters.  However, doing these activities does not afford what might be best:  sitting in quiet with a scripture verse or story like what is inserted above. 

Even a short time with Jesus, considering the state of my soul, my relationship with God.  This is when I take the soil I have in my spiritual life and increase it, till it and quietly allow it to nurture who I am.  This is more difficult than a rosary, the stations, or reading from a book of prayers.  Isn't it?

Yes, devotionals can help your soul but their strength comes especially when they are built upon a relationship you have with Jesus in personal prayer and reflection.  We need to put aside the "driven" culture we have accepted into our lives.  We need to let some honest "laziness" open our hearts to God!

God be with you.

Fr. Milt